Bananas are known as 'energy bombs' with very high nutritional values. It holds a multitude of vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin C, many of the vitamin B family, potassium and three natural sugars - Sucrose, fructose and glucose. But if you thought nutrition is where the role of the banana ends, think again...
1. Shining shoes: If you happen to be out of shoe polish, don't worry. After you've finished eating the banana, use the peel. Remove the remnants of the banana from within and then rub the inside of the peel on your shoe. To finish, use a paper towel.
2. Kick your smoking habit
The banana can help people stop smoking. The vitamins B12, B6 and the minerals potassium and magnesium found in the banana, help the body overcome the effects of nicotine withdrawal.
3. Treating Bunions: Vinegar and cosmetic creams can dry painful and ugly bunions, but when these aren't available or too expensive, a banana will also do the trick. Squish the banana and rub it on the affected area. You can use the peel to rub it on the skin, while some wrap the inner side of the peel around the bunion and leave it for the night.
4. Soothing stings and bites: The sugars in the banana peel will sooth an itchy and annoying mosquito bite, as well as the redness that accompanies it.
5. A solution for Aphids: Aphids can be very annoying when they attack your flowers and garden. Take a few pieces of banana peel and bury them about 1-2 cm deep around the base of the plant. Do 'not' use the fruit itself, or else you will attract even more hungry insects.
6. Eases heartburn: The banana has natural anti-oxidants that may relieve your heartburn. Eat a banana to cool down.
7. Tenderizing meat: If you want to tenderize meat while thawing it, wrap it in banana leaves. This also works for fish. While cooking, add a ripe banana to help them soften, and add a sweet flavor while you're at it.
8. Relieving PMS pain: The B vitamins found in the banana regulate the levels of sugar in the blood, which directly affects the general feeling and mood. The potassium in the fruit neutralizes the swelling and the liquid build-up.
9. Make that hangover go away: After a harsh night of drinking, boil a cup of water and put 2 banana peels in it. Wait for it to cool and drink.
10. Treating bloody hemorrhoids: Steam 2 bananas with the peel, until they soften. Eat on an empty stomach, morning and evening, until relief is achieved.
11. Improving your quality of sleep: Bananas come with a great vitamin B6 boost that helps maintain a normal and functional sleep/wake mechanism. Eat a small banana every day to get quality sleep.
12. Substitute for vitamin D: Research shows that a lack of vitamin D (the one we get from being exposed to sunlight) is a big contributor to depression. Since during winter this is hard to get, it is recommended to get your vitamin D elsewhere. Other than milk, fish and avocado, banana is a great source for that.
13. Return moisture to a tired face: To moisturize your dry skin, use a banana paste to relax the skin. Here is a simple recipe:
2 spoons of almond oil
1 ripe banana
1 Egg yolk
Mash the banana with a fork and remove the thick pieces. Add egg yolk, almond oil and mix well. Wash your face and dry with a clean towel. Then put the mix on your face and leave for 20 minutes. Wash your face with cold water and dry well.
14. Helps fight anemia: The vitamin B family found in bananas encourage the creation of hemoglobin and help prevent and treat anemia.
15. Whitening teeth: Despite their yellow color, bananas can actually help whiten your teeth. Research shows that the minerals in the banana peel, such as potassium and bromine, help whiten the teeth naturally without leaving damage.
Cut the peel into little pieces, rub the inner part of the banana in circular motions on the teeth for 2-3 minutes and then don't touch for 15 minutes (don't eat, drink or rinse). Then rinse well. In a few weeks of this daily treatment, you will see great results.
How about those bananas? I always thought they were just 'good' to eat.